Chime Justice Ndubuisi
Epitaphion: On The Death Of Death
Here lies death, the fiend
Whom none ever liked.
Disrespecter of age and creed,
The gluttonous eater of mankind.
That monster we all once feared
Whose footsteps are never heard
But only the outcome of its deed.
Whose domains are without any bound,
Whose fame far and wide is heard.
Here lies death, dead!
Your own snares caught you instead.
That wicked monster is now confined!
The monster that always blot out our light,
That turns our day into night,
That dashes us to the ground from a-height.
Now that you are out of sight,
Where now is your strength?
Where now is your might?
What happened to that your deadly bite?
Now that you are dead, death!
Now that you lay cold and white,
You are weaker than we could ever thought.
Long time ago, you started your carrier
Greedy glutton. Slimy life eater,
The worst of its kind. Uglier
Than the devil. Death, whether
You were created, we can't decipher.
But we are glad you are gone forever.
Here I brought you thorny rose flower;
I shall not cry for you, Never!
Here lies death; it's craft was stealing.
It steals from men and beasts: everything living.
It takes man away when his sun is still shining!
A stealthy thief; you can never see it approaching.
Now that you're dead, everybody is rejoicing.
For you, there'll be no mourning.
Come up now and kill!
Why lie there cold and still?
You have been caught in your own cell.
No one will fare you well.
No one will sing or cry, save
For this my little epitaph on your grave.
Chime Justice Ndubuisi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Epitaphion: On The Death Of Death by Chime Justice Ndubuisi )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Kriztan Rei Palces
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Over-Ripe Sushi, Yosa Buson
- Christmas Spirit, Paul Moosberg
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- They are all equal, gajanan mishra
- On the Day of an Election, Ponniah Ganeshan
- Smiles All The Way (Repeat), DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- I Wander Lost, Shalom Freedman
- उसका ही अपमान करते हो uska hi apmaan, hasmukh amathalal
- In restless sea, gajanan mishra
- Christmas Is Here Tonight, Hebert Logerie
- खता करके, तुम्हारे द्वार पर, हर बार जाता.., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- Love Letter, Gillu Rahul
- Crystal Clear, Jason Summers