Holidays come and holidays go,
Some in the summer and some in the snow.
Travelling to and travelling fro,
Out on a whim wherever the wind doth blow.
So pack up yer gear and tak a ride,
Hurry up, quick! or you’ll miss the tide.
Enjoy yersell to tell yer kin,
Cos’ they’ll be a wondering’ where ya bin.
Awa’ frae yer folks the heart will yearn,
Frae kith ‘n kin ‘n e’en tha’ bairn.
So gae alang noo and fret ye not,
Fer ye’ll be a while awae frae yer cot.
Enjoy the scenery and nature too,
Fer awae is such a beautiful view.
The locals are friendly wi’ there different ways,
Enjoy yer time made up of days.
‘N if yer like it ye can go there oft’,
To espy the scenery - with it’s corsets off.
We’re all born free ta’ tak a walk,
But where we tak’ it alters the talk.
Nabody need ken where ye are,
Alang a towpath or up on a scar.
Ye can go on a bus or in a car,
Or stick yer boots on ‘n walk to a star.
Follow a map or follow your heart’
Ye dinna need ta get back to the start.
But if hames where ye love
Donna mind ta turn aroon!
Charles McMullen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Excursions by Charles McMullen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(2 February 1882 – 13 January 1941)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Small-scale Reflections On A Great House, Ramesh Iyengar
- The Shoelace, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Behind Closed Doors Once Again, Electric Lady
- Toronto, J.S. Campbell
- Unread Lines of My Existence, Sierra Staten
- The Guilt Trip, David Lewis Paget
- Ambrosia, Gaby Bernier
- Music is the bliss., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Live while you live., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Man dangles without woman., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Religion is a recreation., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- I have got my body, gajanan mishra