The air scent heavy with the morning rain
As tall as the cathedral spire looking to heaven.
Tumbling out of the sky in big dollops falling
To the ground forming puddles.
I remember the smell of the polished wooden pews
As I entered the cathedral and the smell of wet
Clothing mingling together, a musty odour
Sometimes found in old wardrobes.
I remember the brass cross on the Communion table
Like the one I saw in Paris, with all the home thoughts
From abroad. It had rained there too, a softer rain that
Kissed your face like a sprinkling of Holy water.
Upturned faces looking at lofty beams and arches
Like tall masts of ships with lines of rigging pointing
To God in heaven asking for a blessing and a safe
Passage.Just to see this life through.
Outside the rain came down glistening the pavement
With a shine as people walked about their day
Looking for the meaning of life in all its complexity
And seeking answers to their existence.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Expectations by David Wood )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 May 1812 – 29 January 1888)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- The Greatest, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Rhyme, Akhil Arya
- The Best Days, Michael P. McParland
- The Arrival, Michael P. McParland
- Thank You So Very Much, Michael P. McParland
- This Life, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Thank You KP, Michael P. McParland
- Tenderly Ask, Michael P. McParland
- Taking It All In, Michael P. McParland
- VAMPIRES, ZOMBIES, AND METH, Chaarzarul Rockett