The air scent heavy with the morning rain
As tall as the cathedral spire looking to heaven.
Tumbling out of the sky in big dollops falling
To the ground forming puddles.
I remember the smell of the polished wooden pews
As I entered the cathedral and the smell of wet
Clothing mingling together, a musty odour
Sometimes found in old wardrobes.
I remember the brass cross on the Communion table
Like the one I saw in Paris, with all the home thoughts
From abroad. It had rained there too, a softer rain that
Kissed your face like a sprinkling of Holy water.
Upturned faces looking at lofty beams and arches
Like tall masts of ships with lines of rigging pointing
To God in heaven asking for a blessing and a safe
Passage.Just to see this life through.
Outside the rain came down glistening the pavement
With a shine as people walked about their day
Looking for the meaning of life in all its complexity
And seeking answers to their existence.
David Wood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Expectations by David Wood )
- Why Must There Be Dragonflies?, Stephen Warren Williams
- Enough is Enough!, Shaila Touchton
- For Boy George (The First Time I Saw You), Dave Alan Walker
- Acceptance, Barbara Dixion
- The Pendulum of Life, bryan wallace
- Sentiments Of Love, Louis Borgo
- Forever Free, courtney metcalf
- Rage Against the Machine, Amber Hardisty
- Out, Barbara Dixion
- Raindrop Ambitions, Ailill Ailill
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(1644 - 1694)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1927)