Exploring happiness #60- The Best of Everything
Striving for the best
is continuously seductive.
It is a path that leads
predicated on “I want”
rather than on “I need.”—
a predictable obsolescence
which frequently exacts a payment
more costly than
the desired rewards.
To pursue the best of everything is a seductive goal which by its very nature can never be fully satisfied.
There will always be something new and more desirable being discovered, making what we thought was the best this month become obsolete by next month.
We all want to have a good life—a life that is healthy and comfortable and attractive, but each of us must decide for ourselves how good the “good life” needs to be to provide us with the contentment and the happiness that we all desire.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Like dogs in a wheel, birds in a cage, or squirrels in a chain,
ambitious men still climb and climb with great labor
and incessant anxiety, but never reach the top.
Ambition is so powerful a passion in the human breast,
that however high we reach, we are never satisfied.
June Stepansky's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Exploring happiness #60- The Best of Everything by June Stepansky )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone And Drinking Under The Moon, Li Po
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Humanity in person, hasmukh amathalal
- Perfect Union, Anu Shraddha
- Dafur crisis, Lubinda Lubinda
- Boy vs girl, Mark Heathcote
- remplaçable, Lubinda Lubinda
- Human Nature, Merton Lee
- Those Moments Of Weakness لحظات الضعف هذه, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Money (Cedi), Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- Off the Rez, Smoky Hoss
- As an emigrant كمهاجر, MOHAMMAD SKATI