Fearful the Heritage.
So many still falling, victims to hate.
Are wars meant to cease before it's too late?
Bodies in bags arrive, heavy with grief.
Boys dressed as men, never find war relief.
Bombs cannot be answers, for hurt or pain.
How much blood needs to spill to make it plain?
Wartime's young poets described scenes of hell.
Their verses remembered only too well.
Brave folk abound, and our heads to them bow.
But what will such trauma to our young endow?
Fearful the heritage, costly the price
If love loses out to futile advice.
To wage war still shows no pity at all.
But merely a future heading for fall.
Only peaceful goodwill, if seen to remain,
Will ensure the fallen have not died in vain.
Fay Slimm's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fearful the Heritage. by Fay Slimm )
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Lucy Gray, or Solitude, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dulce et Decorum Est, Wilfred Owen
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- A Well-Worn Story, Dorothy Parker
Poem of the Day
- More we walked., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Goodnight Sweet Love 3, Michael P. McParland
- Undercurrent, Asma Riaz Khan
- Ballade [The goat scratches so much it c.., François Villon
- Love Note 6, Michael P. McParland
- Sending Words about Overnight in Fishing.., Luo Zhihai
- Give me 'all of you', Juwon Daniel
- Leprosy eradication., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Beyond The Dotted Lines, Asma Riaz Khan
- if I die young, Juwon Daniel