Chicks were born to give you fever,
Centigrade or Fahrenheit,
Even if you’re disbeliever,
paramour, but paranoid.
Sun lights up the daytime, moon
lights up the night while fever burns,
fever causes you to croon
noontime, nighttime, love nocturnes.
Romeo for Juliet
had the fever till the pair
died when they were newlywed,
too hot their most brief affair.
Pocohontas saved the Captain
from the death her daddy wanted,
fevered in the bed she slept in
with the man she Pocohonta’d.
Chicks will burn you, make you frizzle,
but you’ll burn out and recover
when the fever starts to fizzle,
and you find another lover.
Inspired by Peggy Lee’s “Fever” which Jack Golbert chose with “Lover” as possibly the greatest pop song of the twentieth century. Peggy Lee was one of Marion Amsellem’s favorite artists, and she was devastated when Peggy Lee died on January 21,2002.
gershon hepner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (fever by gershon hepner )
- Only witness, gajanan mishra
- My Life, Ivan Christabel Prashant
- 수원 ANMA☞０１０▼５９３３▼０４３７☜수원 ANMA, zczx zxczxc
- Dreams, Daisy Pereira
- Beauty of Care, Rohit Sapra
- 수원 ANMA MASSAJE ♠♠010 ５９４６ ０３７７♠♠수원[수원] .., zczx zxczxc
- 수원[수원] ANMA수원[수원] AN, zczx zxczxc
- A Spray of Water: Tanka [one narcissus], Chimako Tada
- And water lies plainly, Laurie Sheck
- Three Little Words, Adam Wilson
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)