Chicks were born to give you fever,
Centigrade or Fahrenheit,
Even if you’re disbeliever,
paramour, but paranoid.
Sun lights up the daytime, moon
lights up the night while fever burns,
fever causes you to croon
noontime, nighttime, love nocturnes.
Romeo for Juliet
had the fever till the pair
died when they were newlywed,
too hot their most brief affair.
Pocohontas saved the Captain
from the death her daddy wanted,
fevered in the bed she slept in
with the man she Pocohonta’d.
Chicks will burn you, make you frizzle,
but you’ll burn out and recover
when the fever starts to fizzle,
and you find another lover.
Inspired by Peggy Lee’s “Fever” which Jack Golbert chose with “Lover” as possibly the greatest pop song of the twentieth century. Peggy Lee was one of Marion Amsellem’s favorite artists, and she was devastated when Peggy Lee died on January 21,2002.
gershon hepner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (fever by gershon hepner )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 May 1779 – 25 February 1852)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Television, Roald Dahl
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Escaping The World, silenced work
- Lonely, silenced work
- Agnostic Afloat, Donal Mahoney
- Unharmed Pinecones, Saiom Shriver
- Goodluck Jonathan, Okoemu Barnabas
- Money Saved Is Money Earned, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- cool with me, Cee Bea
- Down and Dirty, Buddy Bee Anthony
- I Never, Sergi Dutronc
- Love for everyone, Andy Sayasone