Sitting with you
Watching you, helpless;
Sleep is engulfing you
What more can I do, helpless?
Mum and you did everything for me
When I was helpless;
You always gave the right words
When everyone else gave the wrong.
Here with you, in fear for you
Whatever can I do for you.
You did so much for me
Now I'm helpless.
I really should have brought you cheer
Instead my gift for you is tears;
Al least your closed eyes cannot see
That I am helpless.
It used to be you tucking me up in bed
Now nurses tuck you up instead;
White hospital pillows beneath your head..
Try to sleep peacefully.
I hope that happy memories
Are filling your dreams
Then surely things won't be quite
As bad as they seem.
Still you are cut from me
By those locked eyelids.
Please wake and smile at me!
Let's pretend that things are
Just as they used to be,
Before that stealthy coma captured you
And your shuttered lids kept us parted.
Sylvia Lukeman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Final Moments by Sylvia Lukeman )
- Quite same, hasmukh amathalal
- Lack of wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The Exquisite Thing, Mark R. Elias
- Leaf to Fall, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Strange Paradox, Sandra Feldman
- Celebrate Life, david kush
- Speechless, Michael McParland
- The Road That Leads To There, Is It Poetry
- The girl of great beauty was not to be f.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns