First, Write In Gold
first, write in gold, with reliable pen
each beast and flower's origin,
sallow, florid, pale or tan.
then add your list of loves and friends.
and before you wish
to use this writing,
leave it in the sunlight drying.
then store the page that you've let lie
most carefully as centuries fly.
let Time do its work,
shade folium with brunum.
let the words drink the light
of an endless continuum.
the result is a writing
more fit to reflect
in the mirror of transience
Love is our species'
elixir of glory,
Of time spent here,
nothing is kept,
but the gold that you
the blossoms you
Note: 'shade folium with brunum' refers to bright, thick colours that were mixed to write on parchments in the old days. Brunum is brownish, and Folium may be red, yellow, or blue.
Jay Mandeville's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (First, Write In Gold by Jay Mandeville )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Night Sonnet, Novica Tadić
- Asperger's is not a curse - it is just a.., Richard Allen Beevor
- Knives, Dreams, Novica Tadić
- Night Passes, Novica Tadić
- Conversation (1), Novica Tadić
- WALKING SHADOWS, Satish Verma
- INTRIGUING, Satish Verma
- Magdalene Poem, John Taggart
- White days, interruption ("One Flew.., John Taggart
- The Magnet, Ruth Manning-Sanders