For All It Is Worth Here I Am…
For all it is worth here I am…
I am brown, with beads of black.
I am beautiful, fragrant with anticipation.
I am able, aburst with desire.
I am everything a brown woman should be and is;
A mother, a sister, a lover, a child,
A woman.. Sometimes a girl.
I am brown because it does not define me but I define it.
I am soft and cherished, loud and impressive, impassioned and heard.
I am a brown woman, underneath a Burkha, in a mini-skirt.
What I am is what I believe, not what the world sees.
With an accent, with a demure smile.
I am brown whether Christian, Hindu, Buddhist or Muslim.
I am stunning with green, black and almond eyes;
Pools of life, be it desire, be it purity, be it strength.
I am.. And will remain.. Everything I choose to be
Shivangi Chaturvedi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (For All It Is Worth Here I Am… by Shivangi Chaturvedi )
- To touch a star is to be ouch with respe.., Raymond Sawyer
- Her enchanted delight, Amgad Samy
- my glasses, Bull Hawking
- 64 and deaf, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- For every star that one see is the star .., Raymond Sawyer
- They came across a homeless-looking man, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- He Is A Clown, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Morally Corrupt, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- hey four eyes with the square tie, Jena Crowe
- Where there respect thus there Star Bucks., Raymond Sawyer
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(1 February 1927)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)