Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
Your paintings are works
There is an excitement in them
Each captures the essence of
Simple, ordinary things.
We hold our breath in anticipation
To catch the frog when he leaps
From his rock throne...
The lilies, in beautiful blended
Colors are a sweet caress, as
They float in the pond;
We are drawn to the dropp of water
On the leaf which shimmers like a tear
And stays with us like a forlorn and
A bride and groom of long ago
Come to life and we hear the soft echoes
Of yesterday's promises...
The sail boat whispers in the wind,
Houses cast shadows on the quiet
Blue water...Clouds hover.
The fragrance from the rose, in
A beautiful vase fills the room.
We reach out to touch its soft
We hear the moo of the cow, basking
In this tranquil space and time.
We are flattered in candid portraits,
Your detail is incomparable.
The warmth and care you took shows and
We are thrilled and can boast of
Having been painted by an artist
Of great renown.
(Cheryl Kitchen is a fantastic young oil painter in the 'Wednesday Morning Art Classes' that I attend)
Dorothy (Alves) Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (For Cheryl by Dorothy (Alves) Holmes )
- Idle mind at rest, hasmukh amathalal
- Against nature, gajanan mishra
- Train, Miles Teegarden
- Inspiration (Haiku), Toshie Nohara
- Rain In Summer, Neela Nath
- Friendship is made by God, gajanan mishra
- Friend, JAMES T. ADAIR
- You'll Never Know, Akhtar Jawad
- Resource less, hasmukh amathalal
- Teaching - A Satisfying Experience, Joseph T. Renaldi
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Psalm of Life, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)