Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
Your paintings are works
There is an excitement in them
Each captures the essence of
Simple, ordinary things.
We hold our breath in anticipation
To catch the frog when he leaps
From his rock throne...
The lilies, in beautiful blended
Colors are a sweet caress, as
They float in the pond;
We are drawn to the dropp of water
On the leaf which shimmers like a tear
And stays with us like a forlorn and
A bride and groom of long ago
Come to life and we hear the soft echoes
Of yesterday's promises...
The sail boat whispers in the wind,
Houses cast shadows on the quiet
Blue water...Clouds hover.
The fragrance from the rose, in
A beautiful vase fills the room.
We reach out to touch its soft
We hear the moo of the cow, basking
In this tranquil space and time.
We are flattered in candid portraits,
Your detail is incomparable.
The warmth and care you took shows and
We are thrilled and can boast of
Having been painted by an artist
Of great renown.
(Cheryl Kitchen is a fantastic young oil painter in the 'Wednesday Morning Art Classes' that I attend)
Dorothy (Alves) Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (For Cheryl by Dorothy (Alves) Holmes )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 October 1875 - 1 December 1947)
(1923 - 1998)
(1644 - 1694)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Will there really be a "Morning"?, Emily Dickinson
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Poem of the Day
- The 7 Signs of The Holy Night...(In Haik.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- The Day After Chris+mas...(A 10 Word Acr.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- So encouraging, hasmukh amathalal
- So Good, Michael P. McParland
- Snuggle, Michael P. McParland
- To speak untruth, hasmukh amathalal
- Sleep Well Love, Michael P. McParland
- Sleep Tight Sweet Lady, Michael P. McParland
- Stable in life, hasmukh amathalal
- Sleep Tight Dear One, Michael P. McParland