Since the beginning – the earth full of dust,
The forbidden fruit in Eden still on the tree –
Our first ancestors ventured to eat it. Gee,
Doting on Eve, Adam sinned after love to lust!
Temptations have lured us to banned dreams
Just as we need passions for spell in a lifetime,
Hunger for sensations, a heartwarming prime,
Thirst for reveries to fill the soul that beams.
The world is so ancient! Our life-style so trite!
Days are so stale! Living habits so out-dated!
Even our attachment has become antiquated!
Darling! Courting words have grown a bite!
Whether you change your clothes many a turn
Or always make yourself up, you still look old,
Although fall leaves have begun to turn gold,
Inviting the season, suggesting Spring’s return.
Even if my heart in metempsychosis succeeded
So that I could renew my love in renovation,
Our affection would reach pain as destination,
Being moss-grown, incapable of being weeded.
Sped by seductions for taboos we have craved
As we need passions through thick and thin:
Above our first ancestor and the original sin,
- Coiled round the branch, the serpent stayed!
Nhuan LeXuan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Forbidden Fruit by Nhuan LeXuan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 July 1875 – 22 February 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Goodnight Darling One, Michael P. McParland
- what the black cat said to the misty flu.., cristobal Benjumea
- Cold, Mike Acker
- Silence is not peace, ramesh rai
- Honey its your last chance, cristobal Benjumea
- Related, gajanan mishra
- Best day, Diplove gautam
- Thankful For You KP, Michael P. McParland
- Ten Dozen Red Roses, Michael P. McParland
- Eyes of Genesis, Merton Lee