'Sometimes it dulls our senses,
Sometimes it pains our emotions -
What could it be?
Sometimes it overbears our heartbeats,
And outweighs our breathings -
You think its love? '
This flame returns those days
To me like an image in a mirror:
When we first set fire on our woods;
How it rose to a furnace
When we gave it all our tinders.
As the rain revealed its advent
Through the grey clouds amassing,
The thunder rumbling,
The wind blowing;
How we made a shelter
With some bamboos and thatches
Over the fire so that when the rain
Arrived, our fire sustained its dry,
Our heads too caught a few drops.
When after the rain we ran out of fuel;
How we bent to blow, with our mouths,
The dying embers to become flames
And to long-live this dearth.
Being drenched by the fuming smoke
And by our own sweats,
And exhausted from a long forcing out
Of air, you rose defying my petition,
You walked out on me, you left.
Thenceforth i have remained bent
Blowing the fire even in the falling off
Of my breath and strength...
Hence, if i drop someday would i be
Able to set the fire again
When i fall back to earth
From an overcast steep?
Goodness Tchibueze's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fourteen February by Goodness Tchibueze )
- It Made My Day.....(sigh), Kaila George
- Unsure About....., Kaila George
- Love, Joy, Trust & Respect, Tom Zart
- Change, Kaila George
- tempt, Frederick J.B. Moore II
- Sasha said, Nassy Fesharaki
- With A Lifting Of My Leg, Is It Poetry
- Doom and Gloom, Nweke Emmanuel
- I have left my home, ramesh rai
- Turnips, Nassy Fesharaki
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The British, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(15 April 1958)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)