'Sometimes it dulls our senses,
Sometimes it pains our emotions -
What could it be?
Sometimes it overbears our heartbeats,
And outweighs our breathings -
You think its love? '
This flame returns those days
To me like an image in a mirror:
When we first set fire on our woods;
How it rose to a furnace
When we gave it all our tinders.
As the rain revealed its advent
Through the grey clouds amassing,
The thunder rumbling,
The wind blowing;
How we made a shelter
With some bamboos and thatches
Over the fire so that when the rain
Arrived, our fire sustained its dry,
Our heads too caught a few drops.
When after the rain we ran out of fuel;
How we bent to blow, with our mouths,
The dying embers to become flames
And to long-live this dearth.
Being drenched by the fuming smoke
And by our own sweats,
And exhausted from a long forcing out
Of air, you rose defying my petition,
You walked out on me, you left.
Thenceforth i have remained bent
Blowing the fire even in the falling off
Of my breath and strength...
Hence, if i drop someday would i be
Able to set the fire again
When i fall back to earth
From an overcast steep?
Goodness Tchibueze's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fourteen February by Goodness Tchibueze )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- An Almost Made Up Poem, Charles Bukowski
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Life Stretching, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Electric Love, Suresh Dogra
- Capturing An Awareness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Letting Imagination Run, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A river, Leong Ming Loong
- The End of the Road, Sandra Feldman
- Silent Conversation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Serenity Is Placed, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Shards Of Emotion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- WHAT IF CHRIST WAS NOT, Michael P. Johnson