Fourteen More Days (A Poem for Aya)
In fourteen more days, you will have been grown.
Gone from the hearth that has always been home.
Is it my heart or fear that wish you to stay?
Only time can say in fourteen more days.
In fourteen more days, a heartbeat to me.
Time, a fiend, how could I forsee?
How quickly you move, without any delays,
My soul for trade, to slow these fourteen more days.
In fourteen more days, a woman you'll be.
With beauty and reason granted to thee.
With kindness and virtue, this they all say.
So am I so selfish to keep it this way?
In fourteen more days, a shadow is what lies in your bed.
To hear the cock crow, now is to know,
I love you is what often should've been said.
In fourteen more days, I wish you the best.
With dreams in your bags, you'll be leaving the nest.
But to embrace the child is what I now pray.
And to keep her as such for fourteen more days.
Jeff Siegel's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fourteen More Days (A Poem for Aya) by Jeff Siegel )
- The horror show., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Spring, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Love for gramma, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Cogs in Clockwork, Curtlan Popo
- The bike ride, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The morning sun., Harold R Hunt Sr
- I bleed., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Will She, Harold R Hunt Sr
- You guess, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Beat o matic., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Poetry, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)