My passion is to write modern sonnets
Yes indeed modern not traditional.
Iambic pentameter I regret
Is too restrictive and conditional.
I had observed that many years ago.
Expression of thought is more important
Than any well-placed iamb, apropos.
These little songs* are not songs at all; shan’t
Pretend when they're not. Mine are messages
That I compose within fourteen verses:
Some assurances, other presages.
They are my work for better or for worse.
If I fail to convey in fourteen lines
I'd nothing to say and wasted your time.
* Sonnet means little song.
Albert Ahearn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Fourteen Verses by Albert Ahearn )
- Haiku. Sunset (5-7-5), Valsa George
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.23, Monk E. Biz
- Haiku. A City (5-7-5), Valsa George
- Please make yourself, gajanan mishra
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.22, Monk E. Biz
- A Recipe for Joyful Living, Valsa George
- BESTIE, Eleonor Santiago
- My Past, Tribhawan Kaul
- RETURN TO LOVE, Meggie Gultiano
- Good life, John Mamhungaire