I always hated that speech
The “You’re a nice woman, but I don’t think
We’re right for each other.” Getting dumped speech.
I actually admire the men who have the guts to give it.
Better than those who never call back,
Who just take what pleasure they can get
Then disappear like rats in the night.
I’ve heard it to many times,
And each time I feel something inside me
Go hard, and cold.
I wonder what happened to the warmhearted woman
That use to dwell in this body.
Wonder when she became so cynical and jaded.
Wonder when she stopped believing in happily ever after
And just accepted fly by night men as all she deserved.
I don’t really like being that woman.
Don’t like the voice inside my head that says
“Don’t get your hopes up” every time I meet a man.
I remember being a twenty year old bride,
Thinking I’d be mated forever with my one true love.
But-he wasn’t it, never was.
So now I just keep searching,
Wondering where the hell this other soul is,
This person who I’m meant to be with.
I’m beginning to think, he isn’t out there at all.
I wonder how much more disappointment
My heart can take,
Before it freezes completely
And stops beating.
Sandra Brennan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Freeze by Sandra Brennan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Merry Christmas My Love, Michael P. McParland
- Venice, Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
Poem of the Day
- Somewhere In Fantasy Land Hazel Icefrost, Heather Burns
- Beats of the New City., Jiya Acharya
- Somewhere In Fantasy Land A Wedding, Heather Burns
- Somewhere In Fatasy Land Bracken Elfshi.., Heather Burns
- Happy New Year!, Tushar Ray
- This Is Hell, Paula Glynn
- Nap Time, Michael P. McParland
- Son of the Carpenter, Olufayo Ezekiel
- Joel Osteen = Soldier For The Lord, Tom Zart
- Wake Up, Dreamer, Paula Glynn