The garden by my house is locked,
the door is bolted tight,
the walls are high and strong
and topped with thorny briars.
I have been there many times,
and love to pass the day within,
but now I’m on the outside
and longingly looking in.
I yearn for the sweet fragrance
of the roses planted there,
or to taste the tender fruit
which withers now inside.
Was it I that lost the key,
or has the lock been changed?
It matters not which, unless its found
my joy's a memory.
Once in every seven nights
to a magic place I go,
a garden enchanted by faerie sprites,
where festive flowers grow.
Brownies and pixies dance and sing,
mischief sparkling in their eyes.
One comes to expect nearly anything,
yet is constantly surprised.
The fruit that grows there is alluring and ripe,
and so beautiful to see;
but I dare not take a bite,
it is forbidden to me.
All too soon I must depart,
it seems I’ve just arrived.
Its just as well, my tortured heart
can only whet its appetite.
In a cool and calming place,
in the teeming green of spring's full bloom,
flowers of every shape and hue,
bedeck the garden walls.
Succulent fruit on hanging vines,
brings the intoxicating pleasure of wine.
Here my yearning, thirsty soul,
drinks its fill to serene delight.
A peaceful warmth,
like luxurious sunshine,
steals over my deepest heart,
and stills the raging storm.
This gentle, loving place,
softly echoing joyful laughter,
is the true reflection
of radiant Aphrodite
aka Taliesn Flynn
Jeffrey Stultz's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Gardens by Jeffrey Stultz )
- It Really Ain't So Bad.... In Hell ......., Bri Edwards
- Crushed Cookies...... [HUMOR; SHORT; re.., Bri Edwards
- Where Did Mommy Go, Stephen Morris Jr
- me sisters dog, lee fones
- On Cold Grey Mountain, John Martinez
- I KNEW LOVE, SHARON YAKOWA
- I'm Still Here, Stephen Morris Jr
- tramp, lee fones
- Leaves On The Grass, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Thought Process, Mitta Xinindlu
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Bright Glow, Joyce Hemsley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Very Short Song, Dorothy Parker
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Love's Philosophy, Percy Bysshe Shelley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(22 March 1941 -)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)