The world was facing a catastrophic end,
The leaders had stopped playing pretend.
This wasn’t just a matter of grave urgency.
This was a world-wide emergency.
Lives were at stake, and not just the masses.
This emergency affected all of the classes.
Suddenly in an act of total desperation,
A message rang out in each nation,
“Geniuses Unite. Yes, Geniuses Unite.
We need your brilliant ideas to help us out.
We need ideas that will save the world.”
And so the Geniuses heard the call and ideas swirled.
They thought and argued and pulled out their hair.
They screamed and shouted and waved fists in the air.
And then suddenly the hair-pulling and fist waving ceased.
And there was such a calm silence almost a deathly peace.
What happened had all the geniuses died?
Did they kill each other? Was it a massive suicide?
But no, they were all still alive, no one was dead.
They just all reached an agreement instead.
The leaders all patted themselves on the back.
Finally they will have a plan to counteract.
The people celebrated as hope filled their hearts.
Families came together that had been torn apart.
Tears and laughter rang out through the air.
Gone was the misery, the worry, and despair.
And all this before the Geniuses had a chance to speak.
Can you imagine the joy and happiness next week
when the spokesmen for the Geniuses shares their plan
To save the planet, the world, the animals, and all of man?
And so finally the week had passed and the spokesman appeared.
It wasn’t at the UN like many believed but somewhere else via live feed.
He said “You needed a miracle, a plan, an idea to save the world,
And so we came together from every nation and the ideas swirled,
We thought, we argued, we pulled out our hair,
We screamed, we shouted, we waved our fists in the air.
And then someone said what we all knew was true,
‘A billion geniuses can’t fix what one idiot can do.’
And we unfortunately are less than a billion and you are definitely more than one.
So sorry to have to break the bad news but we are doomed everyone.'
(c) 2013 Copyright Elena Plotkin
Elena Plotkin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Geniuses Unite by Elena Plotkin )
- without warning, with morning, Lucy Gray
- How to Pinda-Dana?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- We are neighbors, gajanan mishra
- Sonnet: How Cancers Kill!, Dr John Celes
- My love xi, binod bastola
- आंहा उदै बुंजासे आदार गैया, Ronjoy Brahma
- Cutting Edge, Satish Verma
- Will Never Love Nor Marry Unless, Melikhaya Zagagana
- Image of God, gajanan mishra
- Countrification, bill costley
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)