Given the Choice
The beginning is just; the beginning is right,
the constant wailing and constant fight.
To discuss the discourse of freedom’s first light
will take us forever into the damning night.
Success is what must be measured at once,
weight and health is of sudden importance.
Rivalry instantly ignited through instance,
a battle of babes of great significance.
Throughout the primary walks of life,
when babe has now grown into child,
when child is absorbing the essential guide
there is nowhere for this child to hide.
Blackened souls will seek to compete,
though we are all blackened souls underneath.
We all seek gratitude and plaudits from those with whom we speak.
Adolescence, I’m sure, will destroy the likes of me.
Toiling away for the great machine.
Like cogs destined to be the engine,
toiling away for humanity.
Which cog is shinier than the crooked colleague?
Retirement seems to be a venture from the fog,
where you’re made to live on scraps like dogs,
freeze at home and choke on smog.
a peek into our epilogue.
Let’s call upon our great creator
and ask ourselves, 'which one is greater? '
Space is supposedly a mask for our maker
but our lives are somehow difficult to savour.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Given the Choice by Jason Lowes )
- Shattered and alone, Nicole GravellPellerino
- But the Leaves Of Grass, Neela Nath
- It is impossible, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- What The Culture Drug In - Da Dammerrung.., Warren Falcon
- my thumbs were once pro twiddlers, Mandolyn ...
- Await for your return, Fluorescent Reality
- Serenade To Love, David Harris
- MONSTER FORCE WARS, shannon strauss
- i write because i'm not very good at darts, Mandolyn ...
- Light, Neela Nath