Mark R. Elias
Go to Work
Staring into space won't help
Nor will the looking down.
By all means pinch yourself and yelp.
It will backfire, I own.
Your best bet's work, of any kind.
A tedious task works well.
My mind has blessed me glimpse of mind
Should I do jobs from hell.
Should I be splitting soil apart
Or mowing stony grass
My mind has brushed against my heart
With touch as sharp as glass.
Should I be bagging fallen leaves
Or clearing chicken hay
My mind has sparked on why it grieves
And drives me grief to say.
Should I be putting out the bin
Or bringing in the shop
My mind has let me nearly in
And caused me nearly drop.
Should I be painting up and down
Or wiping left and right
My mind has to a heaven flown
And tasked me tell the flight.
Should I be working on a poem
A poem that's no good
My mind has nodded that I'm home
And working as I should.
So should you understand and think
You've mind in you to tell
I recommend the bathroom sink.
The toilet bowl as well.
Mark R. Elias's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Go to Work by Mark R. Elias )
(c. 1343 – 25 October 1400)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(30th November 1991)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Return of The Romantic, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Longest Night, Nassy Fesharaki
- The Tiger, William Blake
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Life of Love, Moriah Schutt
- SONNET IV, Sir Toby Moses
- Love is Complicated, Moriah Schutt
- Let Me Be With My Conscience, Abdulrazak Aralimatti
- That you are beautiful, Gert Strydom
- Morning, Gert Strydom
- Niagara's Yulia, Nassy Fesharaki
- SONNET III, Sir Toby Moses
- during eve of next moment..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Eliot, Your Modern Hollow Men, Bijay Kant Dubey