Everyone has his God.
Whether it be money or an idol stood on a pod.
The strangest thing I find to bear,
Is when you need him he’s just not there.
He was never there when the bombs exploded
He was never there when the cliffs eroded.
He was never there when our soldiers died.
He was never there when the politicians lied.
He was never there when the planes hit the tower
He was never there when all those kids were made to cower.
He was never there when Hitler built his army.
He was never there when they faced the raging Tsunami.
He was not there when I gazed in wonderment at the web of a spider.
He was not there when I watched an Eagle soar like a glider.
He was not there when I watched in awe at the fish in a shoal.
Twisting and shimmering, running from dolphins, to eat them their goal.
He was not there when I looked at the Stallion galloping with glee.
He was not there again when I saw the whale sounding in the sea.
He was not there when I trod the dew soaked meadow, and stood under the spreading age old oak tree.
But most of all he was not there when I sat my new born baby girl on my knee
George Howard's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (God? by George Howard )
- Workmates?, Over The Moon
- Some way or other, gajanan mishra
- A Piece Of My Love., Philip Mutuku
- I Am Time, Time, Indelible, Indestructib.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Cambridge -Seat of Learning., Geoffrey Fafard
- Disharmony......, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Time Is Not Staying In Place, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- If Not Homespun, Scott J. Shepard
- Gifts, Scott J. Shepard
- Courage, Scott J. Shepard
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)