God Help The Children
I see them daily
in the newspapers
on the tv screen
in the streets
innocent faced and pure
stained by the sins of their elders.
This is not what life promised them.
Cover their faces
place their tiny bodies
in tiny coffins
bury them in tiny graves
while their mothers weep.
We should all be weeping
Do not blame only their abusers
the ones who beat them
Blame us all.
A country that cannot look after its children
has no right to call itself free.
God save the children-
God save us all.
Gillian Commerford's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (God Help The Children by Gillian Commerford )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(2 November 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- रंजानाय फैगौ, Ronjoy Brahma
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Raising boys, christina hodges
- Death Be Not Proud, John Donne
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- '' O '', Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Paris Will Never Be The Same, Alan W. Jankowski
- Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Alan W. Jankowski
- Grandpa, Alan W. Jankowski
- Happiness And Purpose, Alan W. Jankowski
- MY OATH DUE TO YOUR LOVE., Changez Ndzai
- The Sparrow, Robert Plese
- The Bemused, Robert Plese
- Time's departure, hasmukh amathalal
- We Were Born Naked, Michael Webb