The strong morning tide, flows steadily in,
I wish I had stayed in bed!
I can't feel my toes, my fingers are numb,
And my nose is a bright shade of red!
Not far from the pier, we hear a loud cheer,
So we all look across to see,
An excited young boy, shouts out to his Dad,
Can we have it for our tea?
I reach for my box, full of wriggling bait,
And pick out a worm for the fish,
Oblivious, to it's watery fate,
It'll make nice tasty dish.
Now time for a break, a nice slice of cake,
And a steaming hot mug of tea,
When out of the blue, my line starts to shake,
I hope it's a catch for me!
Jump to the ready, must keep it steady,
Let's give it all I've got,
Reeling it in, I can't help but grin,
It's a definite one for the pot!
When the tide starts receding, the seagulls start feeding
On the surplus of bait cast away,
Like squabbling kids at a birthday tea,
They tuck into their feast of the day.
A grand time we've had, took the good with the bad,
And made some new friends on the way,
We'll come again soon, by the light of the moon,
As long as the weathers ok.
Jayne Davies's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Gone Fishing by Jayne Davies )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 February 1898 – 14 August 1956)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All Things will Die, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- Just To Encourage You To Hold On, Edward Kofi Louis
- I Will Seek For You, Edward Kofi Louis
- Under The Apple Tree, Edward Kofi Louis
- Spiced Wine, Edward Kofi Louis
- Innocent Wishes, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Come And See II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Office, orifice!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Like A Baby, Edward Kofi Louis
- Tears Of Love II, Edward Kofi Louis
- Pumpkin Pie, Ima Ryma