Good Friday in Providencia
At dawn, doves unloosen the light.
Antiphonal echoes, vibrato from deep caves
lift us from sleep and our unformed fears.
Dustmotes linger in the air.
A crow whose bailiwick is the mango tree
screeches and cackles in madcap mockery
of all our well-laid plans,
the ganglion of half-forgotten dreams.
The world becomes busy.
Cow bells for basura, street vendors and children,
the neurology of early morning vowels
watering the desiccated imagination.
Yet, everything is formal. The dampening of the dust,
the whisk of straw brooms
the punctual tolling of church bells
like the last line of a quatrain.
The sun neonizes the bougainvillea
The morning glory spreads its goodly gear.
michael hogan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Good Friday in Providencia by michael hogan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Kriztan Rei Palces
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Over-Ripe Sushi, Yosa Buson
- Christmas Spirit, Paul Moosberg
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- I'm Still The Same, Gillu Rahul
- They are all equal, gajanan mishra
- On the Day of an Election, Ponniah Ganeshan
- Smiles All The Way (Repeat), DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- I Wander Lost, Shalom Freedman
- उसका ही अपमान करते हो uska hi apmaan, hasmukh amathalal
- In restless sea, gajanan mishra
- Christmas Is Here Tonight, Hebert Logerie
- खता करके, तुम्हारे द्वार पर, हर बार जाता.., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- Love Letter, Gillu Rahul