Grandpa was apt to play when Grandma was away.
She went to Florida with her siblings for to stay.
Grandpa shined his boots and donned a new white shirt.
He slicked down his hair and made sure his hat was square.
He brushed down the mules and cleaned the wagon wheels.
Then mounted the seat with a bound and rode off to town.
About midnight he reappeared. A sight he was to see.
Running hard with one gone shoe, into the house he fairly flew.
He grabbed his gun and loaded it, sure some husband would shoot him down.
He was afraid, but when Grandma left next time,
He would up and go back to town...
Willie Walker's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Grandpa by Willie Walker )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Rain, Joseph Paintsil
- Haiku, Noah Body
- Capitalist List Esteem Apex Peak Cut Down, Terence G. Craddock
- A million sparkling rainbows, Nick Kler
- selah, don't say la la la..., Mandolyn ...
- Ego Rulers Built Massive Monuments, Terence G. Craddock
- Capitalistic Perceived Important People, Terence G. Craddock
- here's an itty bitty bite, Mandolyn ...
- Remember Me (Dedicated 2 those that have.., Enyinwa Okechukwu Enyinwa
- school lunch woes and whoa it's healthy!, Mandolyn ...