I'm tuckered from weeding and rest mid the flowers,
This offers real meaning to these warm summer hours.
A diminutive bug of green iridescence,
Honors my efforts with her elegant presence.
'My new hostas are choice', I'm dumbfounded to hear,
This announcement is crisp and surprisingly clear.
''They acknowledge my new horticultural scheme,
If you'll note the seersuckered chartreuse edged with cream.'
I don't blink, I don't breath, I quiescently stare!
'What did she say? ' I hear myself ask of the air.
The shiny one answers with discriminate flair,
Unquestioned advice from a gardener rare!
'The pipsqueak began blooming so early this year,
It's floriferous grandeur is waning, I fear.
Knotweed inspires a taxonomical question,
The untangled red my experienced suggestion.
And mad-dog skull cap is a welcome addition,
It's jovial nature precedes it's admission! '
All at once there is silence, I'm keenly aware,
Of unyielding edges on my old wooden chair.
It's half-past noon, I'm thirsty, and ready for lunch!
She is not to be seen, but I like her a bunch!
I'm sure she'd be helpful and most willing to share,
The next time I catnap in my old wooden chair.
Connie Yost's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Green Iridescence by Connie Yost )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 January 1887 – 20 January 1962)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Behind Closed Doors Once Again, Electric Lady
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- SAINTS AND SINNERS, Changu Chilwesa
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
Poem of the Day
- O My Friend Jerry, Abdulrazak Aralimatti
- The Chance, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Eve, Leong Ming Loong
- SCROUSE and SCRUMPY, michael walkerjohn
- ` S a c r e d..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Spring Rhyme, Luo Zhihai
- Sweet Lady, Michael P. McParland
- Sweet Goodnight, Michael P. McParland
- Sweet Dreams Sweet Love, Michael P. McParland
- Sweet Dreams My Lady Fair, Michael P. McParland