I am no Christ, Buddha or Gandhi
Or a wandering fakir or sanyasi.
I am an ordinary human being,
If someone slaps me
I cannot turn the other cheek.
I don't think it makes me weak.
I find it difficult to walk
On the eight fold path.
I have no lofty mission
To free mankind of suffering.
If I can make one person smile,
It makes me feel satisfied.
For I can not spread happiness and cheer,
If I am miserable and full of fear.
I cannot be totally selfless,
And efface my identity.
I owe it to myself to love me,
I don’t care if others feel
I am selfish.
Happiness is not something
You can achieve
Merely for the asking.
With experience you will find
It is a state of mind,
You attain when you make peace
With what is.
Once the awareness comes,
You are no longer feverish and
Others naturally feel comfort
In your company.
Mamta Agarwal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (# Happiness by Mamta Agarwal )
- Devil's Darkness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Where is justice?, gajanan mishra
- Silent Voices - Heartbroken Sounds, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Stumble And Fall, Maurice Rowlands
- Love others, gajanan mishra
- Thoughts of Perfection, michael walkerjohn
- Coffee & cream, Mark Heathcote
- An African Woman Unfolds, michael walkerjohn
- The Daughter of the Earth - 43, gajanan mishra
- Prove your presence, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Go Back to May 1937, Sharon Olds
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(November 19, 1942)