@ Have not I gone Worse
Such withered face such strife of years
Is this age cruel my eyes bestow
A quarter and a decade; is it later?
We had met yesterday, today is a tomorrow.
Like from eternal sleep risen
Measure of time, and when like
From the cradle my little children
Grown to men, tell me were not you,
A master to their fate? And what hast
From the buds grown to flowers
And into the stormy winds.
Like a lily that festers, have not I gone worse?
Yet we brace the fortune in off hand,
And do you think my sweet friend
Hath the budding been good or astray,
Hath they been sculpted as you wished?
I will not repeat what we had thought
To the world they belong their wings grown,
A day without them, and a night sans
Much a done, much else remains.
To the sadness in my heart, do we?
Relive, and again the wheel of time back.
Alas! It is done. From the warm nest
Who could not let them into the freedom surpass?
Sadiqullah Khan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Self Portrait, Reflection: Lucian Michael Freud (1922-2011) .
Comments about this poem (@ Have not I gone Worse by Sadiqullah Khan )
- Understanding one's life anytime, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Equinox, Lawrence Beck
- One's sadness or happiness, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Auto rikshaw., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Invocation of Rain, Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
- Harness Racing (Poem), Doris Beaulieu
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 4, ramesh rai
- Light vs Smoke, Adele Bercich
- Just the beginning of that pretty Fall ف.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The Fulani and His Cattle, Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Remnants Left Behind, Heather Burns
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(17 June 1867 – 2 September 1922)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)