What’s a hero?
Does anyone know?
Do they wear masks so their faces won’t show?
Do they watch the world with an all-seeing eye
Cape ruffling in the wind as they fly in the sky?
Do all heroes have special superpowers?
Fighting crime in a costume hour by hour?
Some Heroes save lives every once in a while,
But to me, a hero is someone who can just give a smile.
Heroes are people who can brighten one’s day
Even a hug or “How are you? ” helps pain go away.
A hero is selfless, a dying breed,
For once thinking of others' needs.
Heroes can be people who cure disease and treat burns,
Or just a person who helped a child learn.
A hero can be someone who gives their blood,
Or just a man brave enough to save a woman from thugs.
Heroes do what they do with an unknown repetition
Not for praise, glory or recognition
They don’t do what they do to receive a spotlight
But because they know in their hearts it is right.
Heroes are people who, everyday,
help someone else in some special way.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Heroes by Kelly Curiel )
- Keep Me Moored to the Harbour, David Clinch
- It's the One in the Suit Who's Firing th.., David Clinch
- मानो गाबदोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- Birthday Woman, David Clinch
- A Warning from History, David Clinch
- blood around the cuticle of us, Mandolyn ...
- She Has The Will To Succeed, Ronell Warren Alman
- Fall Festival, stephanie mellisa kievaughan
- Nature Is Beautiful, Rohit Sapra
- ....an add on poem....A Night in October, Rachel Nichols
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Family I love, Kristina Riggs
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)