Lawrence S. Pertillar
Why are they cheering so enthusiastically?
'They've just blown up their own foundations.'
Their reasoning behind this?
'They chose to show that guy over there,
Sitting in that chair and eating a sandwich...
Just 'who' is the boss.'
At 'their' loss?
He seems to be unaffected by it all.
Isn't he getting up to play a round of golf?
But they are hoping what they've done,
Will be at 'his' cost.'
'It's a new strategy.
They want to prove to him,
What it is they can do...
If they so choose to do it.'
If I understand this clearly,
Those foundations they've destroyed...
Are not his?
What they've done makes no sense.
Weren't those foundations declared,
To have for them a permanence?
'Like I said.
They wanted to show him,
Just 'who is the boss.'
Are they insane?
You said that.
They are the ones cheering,
They certainly have reached new heights of petty.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (His Defeat by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- Flight of Chance, michael walkerjohn
- A Patch of Earth under a Thatch of Sky , John Tansey
- Genuine The Gift, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I Asked You, Vera Sidhwa
- Shifting Rules, Noah Body
- Let me name one, gajanan mishra
- Moy Serena Venera, YA tebya lyublyu, yes.., Hebert Logerie
- My heart, James Berth
- Where will she be, hasmukh amathalal
- Drinking God's Beauty, Vera Sidhwa
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Let Me Die A Youngman's Death, Roger McGough
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Woman Work, Maya Angelou
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)