Lawrence S. Pertillar
Why are they cheering so enthusiastically?
'They've just blown up their own foundations.'
Their reasoning behind this?
'They chose to show that guy over there,
Sitting in that chair and eating a sandwich...
Just 'who' is the boss.'
At 'their' loss?
He seems to be unaffected by it all.
Isn't he getting up to play a round of golf?
But they are hoping what they've done,
Will be at 'his' cost.'
'It's a new strategy.
They want to prove to him,
What it is they can do...
If they so choose to do it.'
If I understand this clearly,
Those foundations they've destroyed...
Are not his?
What they've done makes no sense.
Weren't those foundations declared,
To have for them a permanence?
'Like I said.
They wanted to show him,
Just 'who is the boss.'
Are they insane?
You said that.
They are the ones cheering,
They certainly have reached new heights of petty.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (His Defeat by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Whereabouts, B.. Alexander
- you're tall enough to ride this ride, Mandolyn ...
- Acrostic, Cheryl Griffith
- Heart, Sello Matsepe
- It Feels So Far Away This Evening..., B.. Alexander
- Neophytic Gay-Blade, Richard Thripp
- Rebel, Nassy Fesharaki
- Your Organ Donor Card, Richard Thripp
- Floating Feathers, Ronald Chapman
- I LOOK FOR NEW FACES ابحث عن وجوه جديدة, MOHAMMAD SKATI