Lawrence S. Pertillar
Why are they cheering so enthusiastically?
'They've just blown up their own foundations.'
Their reasoning behind this?
'They chose to show that guy over there,
Sitting in that chair and eating a sandwich...
Just 'who' is the boss.'
At 'their' loss?
He seems to be unaffected by it all.
Isn't he getting up to play a round of golf?
But they are hoping what they've done,
Will be at 'his' cost.'
'It's a new strategy.
They want to prove to him,
What it is they can do...
If they so choose to do it.'
If I understand this clearly,
Those foundations they've destroyed...
Are not his?
What they've done makes no sense.
Weren't those foundations declared,
To have for them a permanence?
'Like I said.
They wanted to show him,
Just 'who is the boss.'
Are they insane?
You said that.
They are the ones cheering,
They certainly have reached new heights of petty.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (His Defeat by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- Benefit Of Intellect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Symbol Of Freedom, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Keeping Done A Decadence, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Writing Into Existence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Reap & Sow, Angela K Brown
- Street Culture, Angela K Brown
- James Brown, Angela K Brown
- Spell, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- All of Me, Angela K Brown
- White water-lily, Mark Heathcote
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)