Res John Burman
In Olden Days, which are best forgotten,
The men were hard and the times were rotten.
In Saint Buryan, there did dwell,
A brawny farmer, I knew him well.
Henwood Penwallet, take my word
Grew the finest shallots, in the Western World.
Those times being hard, he did say,
I’ll take a load to sell up England way.
Course, silly bugger, din’t know the way,
So he followed the coast line, every day.
Suddenly he found, before he could scoot,
An English Army camped across his route.
He thought he try to sell them shallot
But conscripted was all he got.
They thought perhaps he was a Yeoman
So they turned him into a bowman.
The King before the battle visited his men,
And gave ’em peppy speeches to make ’em brave again
He checked the lances sharpened, the axes fit to slice
And then he came to Henwood, an’ spoke to him so nice.
'You any good with that bow? ' he asked 'My good man.'
'Buggered if I know, I’m a conscript, that’s what I am! '
'Well, try it out, see if you can hit that tree o’er there.'
The arrow flew left and right and vanished in the air!
King Harold said, 'Don’t worry, you are doin’ fine.
Captain, put this Cornishman, in the front line.
An’ for Gods sake! ' he said, 'Have someone watch this prat,
He’ll have someones eye out, shooting arrows like that.
Hastings 1066 (17th March 2008)
Res John Burman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (History by Res John Burman )
- Take My Things..., Mr. Nobody
- power of youth, maharshi trivedi
- Let the body die, why should I die?, Aftab Alam
- artist, maharshi trivedi
- life of indigent, maharshi trivedi
- I Freaking Hate Beer!, Mr. Nobody
- PROBLEM OF TODAY'S ERA, maharshi trivedi
- FREE FALL, Bironga Chadwick
- Imbalance, Hans Raj Sharma
- Festival Of Light, Amitava Sur
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- One Art, Elizabeth Bishop
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)