Holy Week - I was There
The Passover is near,
a feast ever so dear.
Spring is in the air,
our hope, if we dare,
could be fulfilled this year.
The crowd began to cheer.
There was much commotion
as he rode to his coronation
on an animal of lowly birth
amid much gaiety and mirth.
His hair, shoulder length, black,
rubbed with oil, very sleek,
his eyes, melancholic, dark.
he had no beauty,
no earthly majesty.
His future looked very bleak.
I saw him again another day,
hanging on a tree at midday.
Blooded from head to toe,
his full nakedness on show.
I felt sadness and great pity
for the man mocked as INRI (Jesus, king of the Jews)
Three hours passed,
he breathed his last.
Heaven turned its face,
the sun was darkened.
I was transfixed,
caught up in a trance.
I thought he beckoned to me,
I hurried and stood by the tree
Just as the lance pierced his side.
Blood and water gushed forth,
covering me, cleansing me,
giving me a new birth
Golgotha was transfigured into Eden,
the Tree of Life stood in the middle
offering its Ripe Fruit to all who seek it.
I turned away, a new life began.
Isam Hussain's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Holy Week - I was There by Isam Hussain )
- Resource less, hasmukh amathalal
- Teaching - A Satisfying Experience, Joseph T. Renaldi
- The Story of An Autumn Leaf, Rose Lu ( Bing Hua )
- Love Unfetterred, Zulfiqar Ali Bhatti
- Time-wheel, gajanan mishra
- IMPROBABLE ME, Terry O'Leary
- May I help you, gajanan mishra
- UNPROVEN FALSEHOOD, johnny case
- Not good, gajanan mishra
- Trials And Tribulations, Joseph T. Renaldi
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)