John W. McEwers
Hooray for Carnival Dogs
Three trips on the tilt-o-whirl,
and I'm pegging balloons with darts
and I feel a motion of commotion and a hot locomotion
rubbing furiously fast upon my leg.
I look down to see a mutt,
going to town on my favorite festival khakis.
I almost drop my corn dog
which may have cooled the hot dog
putting friction burns in my calf,
but I shoved the whole thing in my mouth,
pushed at frisky fido and shouted
'Hluoaauahoa HngoOO Eeeahih! '
and I swear that Carnival dog must've
heard a lot of corndogese in his day
because he heeled, rolled over, and stayed
right there with me all day,
and we must've just had too much in common,
because he followed me home from the carnival
to live with me.
Ten years went by with him as a faithful companion,
until he died last week.
I miss you, Gordy.
John W. McEwers's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hooray for Carnival Dogs by John W. McEwers )
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Alone And Drinking Under The Moon, Li Po
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- The Photographer, Ravikumar C.P.
- Tuavatara!, Ravikumar C.P.
- Mystery Caller, Ravikumar C.P.
- Do, my dear, gajanan mishra
- Cinders of Life, Tim Labbe
- Aiy Mere Khuda Aiy Mere Khuda, Akhtar Jawad
- State of being, Ravikumar C.P.
- Flight, S.Michael Kozubek
- Undoubtedly something has gone wrong, Ravikumar C.P.
- Fire brand - Judge, gajanan mishra