House of Prayer
Those who keep my Sabbath
And fear my holy law
And look for my compassion
Through the mist
Will find a Temple waiting
And peace and calm inside
And praise and meditation
The eunuch begets children
As he multiplies Good News.
The stranger finds
A welcome from the fray.
And 'Israel' grows
In leaps and bounds
As Gentiles come on board.
They too have privileged
Quarters here to pray.
But Jesus comes this morning
And finds the hucksters' game
At every stall and seat
That meets His view.
And eager pilgrims
As shepherds fleece the flock.
He drives them forth.
His cries and whips subdue.
Doug Blair's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Mark 11: 15-17
Comments about this poem (House of Prayer by Doug Blair )
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Thanks for Remembering Us, Dana Gioia
Poem of the Day
- Angw, Swrji Basumatary
- Brutality, gajanan mishra
- Blessings and mercy, hasmukh amathalal
- Manw..?, Swrji Basumatary
- She Came to Me, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Life Begins Again, Md. Ziaul Haque
- A Good Soul, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Best Wishes My Love, Valentine Mbagu
- Relativity And Love, Sambanath Denis
- 2014, Joseph Archer