How A Planet Stays in Orbit
All morning the cottonwood
has been speaking. It began
when the house was barely awake,
not semaphore but a voice clearly distinguishable
which sang from all the nerve endings
which tumbled down the taproots,
which made the earth tremble
deep inside itself.
On a clear day you can see
forty miles to the Santa Ritas.
The tourists are amazed.
But where they come from,
Venus, millions of miles away,
clear as a barrel cactus,
is pointing south.
Here is the cottonwood
banal as a course in Early American Lit
until one day when you could have been
any place else but were not
some poem sings from everywhere inside you.
Then the earth trembles.
It spins far out, twinkling toward Venus
like a northern star
And this is what the cottonwood is saying.
A difficult line if we are
not quiet enough, amazed enough.
This Earth is sweet as cherry brandy.
It rubs the warm Earth's belly.
And the planet spins in ecstasy,
it rushes out into space again and again
and then returns
hungry for our quiet songs.
michael hogan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (How A Planet Stays in Orbit by michael hogan )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Nymphs And Shepherds, Thomas Shadwell
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- The End is Coming, michael hagwood
- A pencil on a painting, Ntando.B Da poet
- Distance, Alex Rodriguez
- Fierceless, Alex Rodriguez
- A Thousand More, Smoky Hoss
- i think i left my hand in yours. go look., Mandolyn ...
- Wild cold of novemeber, Alex Rodriguez
- Far Off, Sentamu Aziz
- Mill By The River, Stratis Havarti
- Take A Stand, Saiom Shriver