How come your face is long and brown?
How come you know bear a huge frown?
How come you now appear sad and pitiful
Yet black must alway be cheerfully beautiful?
How come you are so haggard and war begone?
How come your joy suddenly has gone?
How, still, how come you now spend time alone
Yet black must stand together or fall alone?
How come, dear sister you now so introverted?
Last year this time were you extroverted,
But, suddenly, you lost your catchy speech
And you no longer like to preach?
How come you have lost your true semblance?
Whither goeth your smile worthy of remembrance?
How come your soul once prolific
Has just fallen into a dungeon horrific?
How come, oh dear sister, how come?
How come you lost all joy and saved not some?
How come, my dear, you scrapped off your comeliness
and totally sold out all your loveliness?
How come you appear now dejected and pitiful
and no longer smiley and cheerfully beautiful?
Oh my, vice and its punishment!
Alas! fate and its harassment!
That boy whose now your ex -
With whom you last had sex -
I learnt he left you an innocent baby and more
and he now wants to see you no more!
Comfort Ndlovu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (How come? by Comfort Ndlovu )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Michael P. McParland
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Pantry Of Thoughts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Diagrams Of Language, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- So Tired(I Need You), Michael P. McParland
- colour of love, Prince Lartey
- Total Mystery, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- When I Die, Kelly Shanks
- Butterflies, Michael P. McParland
- Buckeye Fever Sweeping Terror Over Thier.., Michael P. McParland
- Breaking Free, Michael P. McParland
- Brand New Start, Michael P. McParland