How come your face is long and brown?
How come you know bear a huge frown?
How come you now appear sad and pitiful
Yet black must alway be cheerfully beautiful?
How come you are so haggard and war begone?
How come your joy suddenly has gone?
How, still, how come you now spend time alone
Yet black must stand together or fall alone?
How come, dear sister you now so introverted?
Last year this time were you extroverted,
But, suddenly, you lost your catchy speech
And you no longer like to preach?
How come you have lost your true semblance?
Whither goeth your smile worthy of remembrance?
How come your soul once prolific
Has just fallen into a dungeon horrific?
How come, oh dear sister, how come?
How come you lost all joy and saved not some?
How come, my dear, you scrapped off your comeliness
and totally sold out all your loveliness?
How come you appear now dejected and pitiful
and no longer smiley and cheerfully beautiful?
Oh my, vice and its punishment!
Alas! fate and its harassment!
That boy whose now your ex -
With whom you last had sex -
I learnt he left you an innocent baby and more
and he now wants to see you no more!
Comfort Ndlovu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (How come? by Comfort Ndlovu )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Inwards Bound, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- My Bangle, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- The Lungi Dance, You Have No Dance Item .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Imagine., Leonard Champlin
- Insomiacs, Payal Priya
- Empty Soul, George Egba
- Not His Cartoons, Prof Niamat Ali Murtazai
- what is a compliment, lee fones
- our Archie, our one eyed parrot, lee fones
- Thesaurus, lee fones