A. P. Herbert
Hymn For Victory
O Lord, Who saw us deep in shame
From too much love of peace,
Bless now our arms and honoured name,
And let the conflict cease.
When all was lost, except our soul,
We were not slow to pray,
And now the drums of triumph roll
We give Thee thanks to-day.
We think no shame to love our land,
The father of the free.
We stood alone—erect we stand,
And bow to none but Thee.
But bless, O Lord, our fighting friends,
With all the friends of Light,
And where the bond of battle ends
Make fast the bond of Right.
Help us to hold our thankless trust,
To teach and toil for Man,
To lead the peoples while we must,
And free them when we can.
Thus, when we face the final test,
May we some mercy find;
At least, we sought to serve the rest
And conquered to be kind.
Bless, Lord, the men who fought the fight
By sea and land and air,
Bless all who battled for the Right
But had no sword to bear.
Give comfort to the lonely heart,
And to the sick, release,
To us, the strength to play our part,
And to our children. Peace.
May 6, 1945
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hymn For Victory by A. P. Herbert )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Heat in the Rain, CHIYTWO OLA
- WOMEN ARE MYSTERIES, Philo Yan
- A mother's milk, gajanan mishra
- They could feel, Nassy Fesharaki
- How Oswald Dined with God, Edwin Markham
- mashumiyet, anikesh wats
- Whatever you want to do, gajanan mishra
- Make in you, gajanan mishra
- In My Daydream, Margaret Alice Second
- UNTOLD JOURNEY, Satish Verma