I Am Old, I Am Not Invisible
I am still breathing I can hear, and I can see.
Why do you always just look straight past me?
Why is it that I always find
when it comes to me you seem quite blind?
How exactly do you see me
As a person or a used to be?
I am old and you aren't yet
And sometimes I can forget,
But that's no reason for you to ignore
That I am just as human as I was before.
I once was young, just like you
I lived a busy life and had a family too.
But now I languish all alone
Forgotten and left in the ignoring zone.
I sit here and wait for the day to come
When at last my time will be done,
And I can leave and find permanent peace
For me it will be a blessed release.
Perhaps if you could stop to ponder
That time leads everyone to the great blue yonder,
Then, maybe you'd realise
That there is a mind behind these eyes.
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I Am Old, I Am Not Invisible by Tom Higgins )
- The Acrobat, Pat Raia
- Hupa, John Tansey
- i multi-task hard for you, Mandolyn ...
- Gridlock, Polarization And Shown Indiffe.., Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Similar yet different, Nassy Fesharaki
- Early To Bed, Michael McParland
- Burnt Offerings, John Tansey
- On the Day Isaac Lay Upon the Rock, Guillermo Veloso
- 567, Mandolyn ...
- A Painful Extraction, Greg Costello
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Heather Burns