I Am Old, I Am Not Invisible
I am still breathing I can hear, and I can see.
Why do you always just look straight past me?
Why is it that I always find
when it comes to me you seem quite blind?
How exactly do you see me
As a person or a used to be?
I am old and you aren't yet
And sometimes I can forget,
But that's no reason for you to ignore
That I am just as human as I was before.
I once was young, just like you
I lived a busy life and had a family too.
But now I languish all alone
Forgotten and left in the ignoring zone.
I sit here and wait for the day to come
When at last my time will be done,
And I can leave and find permanent peace
For me it will be a blessed release.
Perhaps if you could stop to ponder
That time leads everyone to the great blue yonder,
Then, maybe you'd realise
That there is a mind behind these eyes.
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I Am Old, I Am Not Invisible by Tom Higgins )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- The Value Of Life, Marites C. Cayetano
- River and ocean, gajanan mishra
- My Kudos To Your Beauty, Tega Akpomraphiphe
- Learning to Lean on Him, Annajoy Thompson
- Learning, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- I Belong, Anthony Di'anno
- Focus On Your Studies, Ronell Warren Alman
- Around the eyes, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- A Lovely Child, Akhtar Jawad
- Courtny Stoned, shelly keats