I am Yusuf oh father
I am Yousuf, O father.
O father, my brothers do not love me nor want me among them.
They assault me and throw stones and words at me.
They want me to die so they can eulogize me.
They closed the door of your home and left me outside.
They expelled me from the field.
They poisoned my vineyards.
They destroyed my toys, O father.
When the gentle breeze passed by the played with my hair they became jealous
And flamed up with rage against me and flamed up in rage against you, What did I ever do to them O father?
Butterflies perched on my shoulders, Stalks of wheat swayed toward me, And birds rested in my palms.
What did I do O father? And why me?
You named me Yusuf, And they threw me into the well, And accused the wolf, The wolf is more merciful than my brothers.
O father! Did I ever wrong anyone when I said: 'I saw eleven stars, and the sun and moon, I saw them prostrating before me? '.
Mahmoud Darwish's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I am Yusuf oh father by Mahmoud Darwish )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(12 March 1922 - 21 October 1969)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 February 1900 – 11 April 1977)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- 'My Christmas Prayer' (For all who have .., Linda Winchell
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Thank all and smile, hasmukh amathalal
- O my Lord, gajanan mishra
- The Day Is Gone, And All Its Sweets Are .., Luo Zhihai
- Picturing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Flag of peace, gajanan mishra
- Changing Positions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Elevated Insight, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Teach them to love, Lubinda Lubinda
- Beyond The Ordinary, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- the comical dilemma with commas, Bull Hawking