Reyvrex Questor Reyes
I Asked A Fool
How your life seems just too merry
Carefree in your days like a lark
To rise above the mystery
Of questions lurking in the dark;
Pray tell me your Philosophy
About your life's unending quest
You said that facts had been filthy
'How could truth come merely as guest? '
'Tis wisdom's folly to query, '
said the fool. 'Fool's gold you will get.'
'But when you sieve out the slurry,
you soon separate the nugget.'
'What is man? ' I asked once inside
'I don't know, ' he said. 'Be seated.'
Speaking without guile, without pride
Seeing to my comfort instead
'What is life? ' I asked as I sit
'I don't know, ' he said. 'Have some bread.'
Being there, I have but to eat
Forgetting what I have queried.
'What is God? ' I asked as I eat
'I don't know, ' he said. 'Drink your tea.'
Drinking while eating is my habit
I have to show civility
'Now you have sat, eaten and drank.'
'What is more to life than this? ' he said
'We have the Lord, for this to thank.'
'Can the life of you to this concede? '
'Man does not, by bread alone, lives! '
I should contest his battle cry
I know just what the fool believes:
'Live, be merry for soon you die.'
To jar the fool's silly advice
Not sure if I'm the wiser be
A glance at him now did suffice
To show the fool might have been me!
Reyvrex Questor Reyes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I Asked A Fool by Reyvrex Questor Reyes )
- Think Me On That Train, Susan Lacovara
- Lovers, Tex T Sarnie
- The Big Picture, Tex T Sarnie
- You fill me, hasmukh amathalal
- I stashed my life, Aftab Alam
- the right self, RIC S. BASTASA
- Am I different?, gajanan mishra
- Drops on Earth, binod bastola
- On Her Bed She Lay, White Lily
- Agree for help, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)