I depress you, don't I?
I depress you, don't I?
You are so bubbly, cheerful, smooth with your words,
you make conversation always as easily
as a well-oiled engine hums;
exuberant with a pinch of irritation
in your confidence with sing-song words and links.
In person and on the phone,
you roll your head, use your hands expressively; you laugh,
you say things that are right and clever, and you are certain.
You know all the concepts and
the appropriate terms and words:
each word that triggers smiles and each that is the right word and which you dim with; it’s easy; and
you have lay-bys
and fly-buys and I can get cash as I pay;
is the antonym of
while I fumble with
and my tone.
You know your way; you are comfortable.
But I... I depress you, don't I?
Hesitant, tentative, slow and uncertain....
Apologizing for things I say, for as soon as
I've said them I wonder
because you don't respond
if I've said the wrong thing;
unsure of form and conventions,
asking for clarifications
about what seem to you to be
the most obvious things...and withdrawing
like a would-be lover who dares not commit himself...
Oh ye happy cherubim
of a white and brightly-lit Heaven,
I do depress you don't I?
(from The Migrant - notes of a newcomer (February 1997- July 1998))
Raj Arumugam's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I depress you, don't I? by Raj Arumugam )
- Pride and Devotion, R B Seals
- tO Watch? 'The Maze Runner' 2014 online .., canadi arese
- Piece of peace, george albot
- THE POEM FROM HINTERLAND, SirLalianMwittah Nyalali
- An Elixir, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sirene, Tanja Bulovic
- Dream Life, Nassy Fesharaki
- u want? Watch 'Divergent' Free Online St.., ada ajakaunak
- The Jackalope Man, Like a Goose to Florida, Bruce Larkin
- I'm Wally the Wacky Warlock, Bruce Larkin
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- FRee! ! Barcelona vs Ajax Live. Streamin.., miami dupli
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)