I dreamed a dream
I dreamed a dream when I was young
I dreamed a dream many times
When I was 5 I felt so alive
Dreaming of being a keeper of the zoo
Fighting off the lions
If ever they escaped from their cages
But my mind wandered to a firefighter when I was 9
Fighting fires and saving the day
Oh how I dreamed of being a hero
But how they ever stood all that fire I’ll never know
When I was 13 I dreamed a dream of fame
An actress, a writer, a director or maybe a scientist!
Standing in my lab creating potions that would save lives.
A pinch of this maybe a dab!
Now on my 16th birthday I dreamed a dream of being an author
Sitting at my computer weaving stories of mystery, fantasy, and intrigue.
All these dreams I have dreamed have seemed to amount to nothing
For now I’m a simple person.
I’m not a writer, firefighter, zookeeper, scientist, director or an actress.
As I type this I tell you now find what you like quick
And make it stick!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I dreamed a dream by jeanne harmon )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Communist Goons, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Trinmul Congress Party's Gift Is The Fre.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Dark Chapter, Abdullah alHemaidy
- The Sun Sings in You, Patti Masterman
- Desolate Fox, Prasad Natarajan
- Real Poverty, Abdullah alHemaidy
- A Dream In My Soul, Spiritwind Wood
- Peace, Leonard Champlin
- A Spirit Forever Free, Spiritwind Wood
- Mamas Counsel, Adeosun Olamide