I dreamed a dream
I dreamed a dream when I was young
I dreamed a dream many times
When I was 5 I felt so alive
Dreaming of being a keeper of the zoo
Fighting off the lions
If ever they escaped from their cages
But my mind wandered to a firefighter when I was 9
Fighting fires and saving the day
Oh how I dreamed of being a hero
But how they ever stood all that fire I’ll never know
When I was 13 I dreamed a dream of fame
An actress, a writer, a director or maybe a scientist!
Standing in my lab creating potions that would save lives.
A pinch of this maybe a dab!
Now on my 16th birthday I dreamed a dream of being an author
Sitting at my computer weaving stories of mystery, fantasy, and intrigue.
All these dreams I have dreamed have seemed to amount to nothing
For now I’m a simple person.
I’m not a writer, firefighter, zookeeper, scientist, director or an actress.
As I type this I tell you now find what you like quick
And make it stick!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I dreamed a dream by jeanne harmon )
- verse, oskar hansen
- No Joy, Edward Kofi Louis
- Showing Kindness To All Mankind, Edward Kofi Louis
- 'We Live in Times of Deep Regrets', Elizabeth Padillo Olesen
- This is my life, this is only mine,, Aftab Alam
- The African Spirit, Gbolagade Taiwo
- For ones who Mock at my love, Nalini Chaturvedi
- Just When You Dont Know What To Say, Say.., OLUMIDE FAMILUSI
- This was the day when i died, surendra jakhar
- Postman, Naveed Khalid