I Like Being Me
I like everything about me.
I realize after going through a very long journey.
I'm a pretty good person.
No, I can't say, I've never hurt another person.
Though, I never hurt anyone physically, I'm sure I did mentally.
It was accidentally.
I wouldn't do it intentionally.
It was more environmentally.
Getting into unhealthy relationships,
Thinking I could help another person.
But, when I look back, I realize I couldn't help a falling person.
I couldn't stop his father from beating his mother.
I couldn't stop the anger between a sister and brother.
I couldn't help a drunker.
Instead of lifting them up, they brought me down.
I see now, I was a person misunderstood.
I didn't stand up for my rights.
I avoided all fights.
Trying to find peace,
Not realizing they were taking a piece of me.
I stood still as a doormat.
Letting people walk all over me.
Saying things about me that weren't true,
I'm not saying I lived like a saint.
I lived with a restraint.
Restraining my talents,
Not finding any balance.
It wasn't until I really found the Lord.
That I didn't care what people thought of me, it didn't bother me anymore.
I didn't care about settling the score.
I realize in life what really matters.
Is how we react.
That's the true fact!
As long as I'm at peace with God what people say or think doesn't matter.
I know that God loves me.
I know that I was positioned for such a time as this.
To share the truth,
Since my youth,
Because, I like being me!
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I Like Being Me by Patricia Kelley )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Theo van B, Hugh Mitchell
- Feather Rose haiku, Kayla Daley
- Daytime shooting star, Kayla Daley
- Yin yang tattoo Tanka, Kayla Daley
- Rain, Jordy lustig
- Passion and Risks, UMBELINA FROTA Linhares Pime ..
- Snip!, Lawrence Beck
- Today I learned that I am an orphan - Th.., Dee Jay
- To Glorify Jesus, Tom Zart
- I only scribed dirge but she killed thee.., Sir Toby Moses