I lost a Friend
We were always together,
We swore we'd never part.
Where I was, there you were,
Best of friends from the start.
We both looked alike,
With hair and eyes of brown.
When you were happy, I smiled,
When I was upset you'd frown.
There was only you in my world,
And no one but me in yours.
We shared everything friends could share,
Our music, our clothes, our chores.
Then suddenly this friendship we knew,
Began to change too fast.
The magic of 'us' has dissappeared,
It was clear this wouldn't last.
We struggled and struggled to save it all,
We were put to the ultimate test.
And even though I lost a friend,
I somehow gained a me.
Mahfooz Ali's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I lost a Friend by Mahfooz Ali )
- Wise Ones Have Said, Naveed Akram
- LOFTTY PERSON, Shannon Strauss
- U-Turn., Achill Ladd
- Scavenging the Wall, R. T. Smith
- Towards earth, hasmukh amathalal
- Rogue Russets, R. T. Smith
- Oxford Stroud Recollects Fishing with El.., R. T. Smith
- mounement, Rathna nagaraja
- Messenger, R. T. Smith
- MORNINGS GARMENT, Shannon Strauss
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- First Lesson, Philip Booth
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)