I'm A Pretender
What we are is human.
We are no superheros with superpowers.
Some of us don't do much with our lives but we'd like to think we did.
We'd like to pretend that we made some huge impact on the world before we die
But the truth is, we didn't.
We like to imagine that all our friends are real and that none are fake.
We like to pretend that we were the cause of somebody's smile....but really.....we weren't. We like to be young and hold someone's hand and call it dating.
We are always pretending.
Everyone is a pretender at one point in time.
Or maybe you prefer to be called a dreamer.
I dont know.
Either way, pretender or dreamer, we all did imagine something knowing it's simply false. But we can do some of the things I listed.
They aren't impossible.
We can make someone smile.
We can make someone feel worth something.
We can be young, obviously.
We can do many such things.
We can make an impact on the world.
We can be known.
Put in history books.
Loved by many.
Adored or admired even.
But until then, most of us are pretenders.
Whichever you prefer.
It doesnt matter.
Just continue and live on.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I'm A Pretender by Lillian Manning )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Which One Do I Choose?, Julie Johnson
- Beautiful Madness, Steven Rhoads
- I am a poet, Julie Johnson
- Life of War, Steven Rhoads
- Do It Well, Babatunde Aremu
- So Tired, Frank Lindquist
- BHARAT KE VEER, AVINASH PANDEY KHUSH
- Memories of river., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Life musings., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Record, Holy Man