I'm Not Frightened (really)
I'll meet you by your garden gate
I'll come at eight, I won't be late
I will not knock upon your door
Your father answered it before.
He slowly looked me up and down
His face congealed into a frown
'I don't want any, go away'
'And don't come back another day'
'I'm here to see Marie, I said'
And proudly lifted up my head
I thought that if I stood my ground
He'd think me brave, and come around.
Instead he said 'What's on your head? '
'Is it alive or is it dead? '
'NO, that's my hair, sir, ' I replied
He laughed so much, he nearly cried.
I'd spent a mint on styling gel
And put some highlights in, as well
For him to castigate my hair
Was very rude, and most unfair.
Then he started on my clothes
'Where the hell did you buy those? '
I would have said 'a high street shop'
But he was laughing fit to drop.
I couldn't see it getting better
Standing there just getting wetter
Did I not say that it was raining?
Honestly, I'm not complaining.
I turned and left, respectfully
I heard him laugh, hysterically
So, I'll meet you by your gate
I'll come at eight, I won't be late.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Owain Glyn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (I'm Not Frightened (really) by Owain Glyn )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Robert Louis Stevenson
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(31 March 1934 – 31 May 2009)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Madhushala, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Your Laughter, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Don't Worry, You Have Me, Kevin John Racaza
- The Beach Of Shells, Edward Shanks
- New Bloom..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Ten Years After Tsunami 2004, Umasree Raghunath
- A Little Air, Kevin John Racaza
- जिद्द............., sanjay kumar maurya
- An Unblind and a Blind Man, Luo Zhihai
- चादर तेरे प्रित की............., sanjay kumar maurya
- family visit, oskar hansen
- Thank the love gift me the verses by Ra.., Yuri Starostin