I'm Not Going To Ireland
I'm not going to Ireland with all my friends
Unless they pay for my ticket, I'm not going
They all want to go, it's first on their list
Besides, what self-dubbed 'artsy' white person
who claims to have lived a fulfilling life
Has not been to Ireland once or twice?
I'm not really interested, they all ask why
They say, culture! Heritage! History! Beauty!
I remark in retaliation, What Irishman wants you there
Infiltrating their little country
With your obscure mannerisms and self-labeled decency
What bar wants to serve you, supposed clean mouth,
A drink in tradition a thousand years old
Who on earth wants cash from your greasy American pocket?
You say, 'But I'm not so American!
I'm independent! Respectful!
I'm a creative person, I like obscure things! '
You say 'I understand customs, I stand out from my people!
I can identify with things other cultures believe!
And I always dream of simpler times and of simpler ways! '
Humbug, American, sharp as a knife
Know ye nothing? Know nothing
About living real life?
So hip and youthful, cool and cynical,
With your gaze at the world
like you caught it masturbating
You interesting, sociable, likeable person
Starbucks, Macintosh, and your scathing wit
You're not my friend! I'm not going to Ireland!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I'm Not Going To Ireland by Rovert Nworb )
- Love Speaks in Silence, Paul Sebastian
- The Ideal Wife, Paul Sebastian
- Then ever it would really you are not e.., Yuri Starostin
- Judicially, hasmukh amathalal
- ACCENT, Terry Collett
- Passion, Suresh Dogra
- Joy and peace, gajanan mishra
- Light, Suresh Dogra
- No purpose yet, hasmukh amathalal
- A Bit of Clarity- Finally, Andy Caldwell
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Parody on “A Psalm of Life”, Oliver Wendell Holmes
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Indira Renganathan
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)