I'm Not Going To Ireland
I'm not going to Ireland with all my friends
Unless they pay for my ticket, I'm not going
They all want to go, it's first on their list
Besides, what self-dubbed 'artsy' white person
who claims to have lived a fulfilling life
Has not been to Ireland once or twice?
I'm not really interested, they all ask why
They say, culture! Heritage! History! Beauty!
I remark in retaliation, What Irishman wants you there
Infiltrating their little country
With your obscure mannerisms and self-labeled decency
What bar wants to serve you, supposed clean mouth,
A drink in tradition a thousand years old
Who on earth wants cash from your greasy American pocket?
You say, 'But I'm not so American!
I'm independent! Respectful!
I'm a creative person, I like obscure things! '
You say 'I understand customs, I stand out from my people!
I can identify with things other cultures believe!
And I always dream of simpler times and of simpler ways! '
Humbug, American, sharp as a knife
Know ye nothing? Know nothing
About living real life?
So hip and youthful, cool and cynical,
With your gaze at the world
like you caught it masturbating
You interesting, sociable, likeable person
Starbucks, Macintosh, and your scathing wit
You're not my friend! I'm not going to Ireland!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (I'm Not Going To Ireland by Rovert Nworb )
- because we're both globe-trotters, Mandolyn ...
- Interior Constraint, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Silent voice, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- The Gentlemen For Me, Poetic Lilly Emery
- The eyes of the stars is the eyes of Sta.., Raymond Sawyer
- Let's Live in Peace, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- I Dry My Tears, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Valley of an autumn's night, Raluca Mitra
- The stars that touch a rose is the star.., Raymond Sawyer
- *Halloween Stroll, Alice Vedral Rivera
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Young Housewife, William Carlos Williams
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1927)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)