'I Saw Light'
I saw light
In a place as dark as night.
I saw light.
Somehow it doesn't seem right,
To see darkness, where once there was light.
Somehow it doesn't seem right.
You saw hope
At the thought of ridding yourself of this burden.
You saw hope.
They saw hope
At the thought of having one like me.
They saw hope.
A nursery with a crib, bottles and toys,
Clothes, diapers, all of the joys.
A messy face, messy bib, spat out peas,
First steps, first words, scraped knees.
Happy, worrisome, and hectic days,
New friends, bullies, and school plays.
First love, dates, and heartbreak,
Smiles, dents in the car, headaches.
Parties, prom, graduation,
Fights, groundings, frustration.
College, career, marriage and family,
Visits, holidays, grandkid glee.
The doctor saw tears
As he told them that they cannot have one of their own.
The doctor saw tears.
They saw their hopes and dreams shatter
As a glass dropped to the floor.
They saw their hopes and dreams shatter.
They saw other couples
With their babies in their arms.
They saw other couples.
I see light
As the Heavenly Father holds me in His arms.
I see light.
Lord, there is none beside, nor before You.
Domine Deus, tu solus sanctus. Amen.
© Greg A. Oosterhouse,3-7-2007
Greg Oosterhouse's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('I Saw Light' by Greg Oosterhouse )
- Owls or rats, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Jesus, God, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- माँ का सूरज कहीं खो गया, Aftab Alam
- Brother John, Colin Ian Jeffery
- पयादे से मात, Aftab Alam
- My birthday song 2, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- The Saffron Drape, Aftab Alam
- My birthday song, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Highway of Holiness, Terrance Tracy
- Hey Big Guy, My Kindred Soul, Noah Body
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(23 July 1823 - 26 November 1896)
James Whitcomb Riley
(7 October 1849 - 22 July 1916)