'I Saw Light'
I saw light
In a place as dark as night.
I saw light.
Somehow it doesn't seem right,
To see darkness, where once there was light.
Somehow it doesn't seem right.
You saw hope
At the thought of ridding yourself of this burden.
You saw hope.
They saw hope
At the thought of having one like me.
They saw hope.
A nursery with a crib, bottles and toys,
Clothes, diapers, all of the joys.
A messy face, messy bib, spat out peas,
First steps, first words, scraped knees.
Happy, worrisome, and hectic days,
New friends, bullies, and school plays.
First love, dates, and heartbreak,
Smiles, dents in the car, headaches.
Parties, prom, graduation,
Fights, groundings, frustration.
College, career, marriage and family,
Visits, holidays, grandkid glee.
The doctor saw tears
As he told them that they cannot have one of their own.
The doctor saw tears.
They saw their hopes and dreams shatter
As a glass dropped to the floor.
They saw their hopes and dreams shatter.
They saw other couples
With their babies in their arms.
They saw other couples.
I see light
As the Heavenly Father holds me in His arms.
I see light.
Lord, there is none beside, nor before You.
Domine Deus, tu solus sanctus. Amen.
© Greg A. Oosterhouse,3-7-2007
Greg Oosterhouse's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ('I Saw Light' by Greg Oosterhouse )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 March 1941 -)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Solitary Reaper, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Εntity, Elena Ioannou
- Resent therefore, hasmukh amathalal
- Colour, novoti gcisakazi Calpurnia j ..
- Not feasible, hasmukh amathalal
- The heart, Leong Ming Loong
- Not shy away, hasmukh amathalal
- Time, novoti gcisakazi Calpurnia j ..
- who, Cee Bea
- Give and Take, Md. Ziaul Haque
- She has Fallen Ill, Md. Ziaul Haque