If One Might Live
If one might live ten years among the leaves,
Ten–only ten–of all a life's long day,
Who would not choose a childhood 'neath the eaves
Low-sloping to some slender footpath way?
With the young grass about his childish feet,
And the young lambs within his ungrown arms,
And every streamlet side a pleasure seat
Within the wide day's treasure-house of charms.
To learn to speak while young birds learned to sing,
To learn to run e'en as they learned to fly;
With unworn heart against the breast of spring,
To watch the moments smile as they went by.
Enroofed with apple buds afar to roam,
Or clover-cradled on the murmurous sod,
To drowse within the blessed fields of home,
So near to earth–so very near to God.
How could it matter–all the after strife,
The heat, the haste, the inward hurt, the strain,
When the young loveliness and sweet of life
Came flood-like back again and yet again?
When best begins it liveth through the worst;
O happy soul, beloved of Memory,
Whose youth was joined to beauty as at first
The morning stars were wed to harmony!
Ethelwyn Wetherald's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (If One Might Live by Ethelwyn Wetherald )
- Classes: Ruling, Fooling, and Drooling, Alfred Barna
- Dilemma, Gillian Commerford
- Living, Gillian Commerford
- सानसे, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Square, Frank Avon
- Shelling Peas on Boulders Beach [for my .., Gillian Commerford
- हार्थखिया मिनिदोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- just orientation..many can be straighten.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Demented Souls (A re-submission), Valsa George
- King One - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)