If You Have Your Own Heroes
If you have your own heroes well that suits me fine
But your sort of heroes will never be mine
For you sort of heroes they chase a football
And stories of their greatness you often recall.
Suppose we must differ for to disagree
Those ordinary to you they are heroes to me
My heroes don't play sports and their praises unsung
Sometimes hero worship is wasted on the young.
We used to be good mates but that seems long ago
And apart from each other we did seem to grow
But our different ideas will not bring us to blows
We go our own way that is life I suppose.
'Tis great lubrication for the tongue the beer
Such rubbish spoken in pubs one is obliged to hear
We make heroes of sports stars though they seem ordinary
Though we all look at life one might say differently.
If you have your own heroes with me that's okay
We all look at life in a different way
We used to be good mates but that is in the past
And few things in life ever do seem to last.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (If You Have Your Own Heroes by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Be found in elevations high, Mark Heathcote
- Children, Varghese J Kuttikat
- A Song For Mortals, Varghese J Kuttikat
- More of a Sufferer than a Sinner, Varghese J Kuttikat
- Prayer of a Tree, Bill Cantrell
- COPLA SESENTA Y UNO: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
- Niagara, Nassy Fesharaki
- ADEEB QUDSI, THE GREAT MEMORY اديب قدسي .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Purposeful Truths, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- died in faith, kyvin nash