Imagination plays me most intolerable tricks.
To enumerate them all would be unbearably prolix.
Just a trifle bids them gather and a trifle bids them go.
And they tease me and torment me more than anyone can know.
Tricks of strange, disordered action, tricks of strange disordered thought.
Tricks of seeking explanations most unprofitably sought.
But my will is learning daily, when the creatures growl and leap,
That a stern voice and a stinging lash will drive them back to sleep.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Imagination by Gamaliel Bradford )
- LIMERICK FRIENDS, Philo Yan
- Wine and Heart, Nassy Fesharaki
- The Sun Doth Shine, Tango Tango
- Alive, Leong Ming Loong
- Poems proclaim, Mark Heathcote
- My Battle Ground, Emily Krauss
- Whatcha Doing, Emily Krauss
- More And More Sheila And Clifford ..... .., Bri Edwards
- Ends, douglas scotney
- To Wait On A Woman, Randy McClave
Poem of the Day
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(22 March 1941 -)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)